What’s New at La Domestique

Wheat Berry Stir Fry (c)2013 La Domestique

Hello there! I hope you had a fantastic weekend. We got 10 inches of snow here in Colorado! It was nice to be snowed in and the husband and I spent a lot of time working on projects around the house while little Minnie the dachshund slept by the fire. Today I would like to share a couple of updates with you. First, I’ve added a Portfolio tab at the top of the page so you can browse the best of La Domestique food photography and styling. Second, you can find me over at Food52 guest posting for their Halfway to Dinner column. I suggest preparing one big pot of slow-cooking grains (wheat berries) and give you 5 ideas for serving them in suppers throughout the week. Pop on over and take a look by clicking on the Food52 icon below! Thanks for reading and have a wonderful day…

Food52icon

1. I went to Costco the other day and bought the world’s largest bag of farro. Do you think I can easily substitute farro for wheat berries?

• Elyse,

I think it would be a good substitute but just know that the texture of farro is slightly different. Wheat berries are a bit chewy and they don’t become creamy when cooking. Kind of like quinoa or couscous but bigger grain. Farro tends to release starch and become soft and creamy, like barley. You can cook the farro till al dente so it’s not mushy and use it in all the recipe ideas I gave on Food52. Farro is such a delicious, healthy grain!

2. I love wheat berries! Nice spot of Food 52!

• Thanks Renee!

3. LOVE the portfolio tab. You do some great work! (I’d like it even more if I weren’t so hungry!)xo

• Thank you Kacie, that means a lot to me. :)

4. Congratulations on the Food 52 gig. The piece is terrific.

• Thanks Tori!

5. What wonderful news for you! That will be right up your alley to continue giving suggestions for one product in many ways. What a fun segway!

• Sarah,

Thanks for checking out my piece on Food52 (it’s just a one-time thing). They’ve got a guest blogger every week and I do think it’s a very clever column!

6. Terrific news, Jess! Congrats and so well deserved. I need to try the fennel wheatberry salad, both on hand. Great job putting together your portfolio too. Looking forward to more.

• Thanks for checking out my portfolio, Nikki! I really appreciate your supportive words. :)

7. Exciting stuff, Jess! All of the dishes you recommended with wheat berries look seriously delicious! Really love the stuffing idea.

• Thanks Nicole! The stuffing was so good!

• I love it, Amy Jo! We haven’t had much snow here this winter, so we’re savoring every flake.

8. I love your photos. And I keep meaning to tell you that the picture on your about page is adorable.

• Oh thank you, Amy Jo!