The Cleanse Begins

Winter Fruits (c)2013 La Domestique

Remember when I said the husband and I were going to do a cleanse? Well, today the cleanse begins! So many of you commented on my last post, showing your support and desire to follow along – I thought you might like to see what our first week looks like. As I mentioned before, we’ll be doing a combination of the Whole Living Action Plan and the cleanse from Dr. Junger’s book, Clean: The Revolutionary Program to Restore the Body’s Natural Ability to Heal Itself.

Why combine two plans? I like how the Whole Living Action Plan is vegan during the first week, and their meal plan provided a guide upon which I could personalize the cleanse. I think Dr. Junger’s Yes and No food lists in Clean might be good for helping me avoid reflux-causing foods and plan on incorporating some of the recipes from the book into our detox diet this week. Also, I’m going to try a few of Dr. Junger’s recommendations, like taking probiotics during the cleanse and drinking 2 tablespoons olive oil every evening. Dr. Junger suggests sauna and deep tissue massage to help the body get rid of toxins during the cleanse, and I’ll be making time for that too. This week is all about eating fresh, unprocessed foods and trying to avoid toxins (pesticides, artificial ingredients) so the body has a chance to heal. Two liquid meals a day and a more substantial lunch gives the digestive system a rest so energy can be put toward detoxifying. I won’t go into much detail here, but encourage you to check out Clean and the Whole Living Action Plan to learn more.

Below you’ll see a bird’s-eye-view of the first week of our cleanse. When applicable, I’ve included a link to the recipe – just click on the item. You can follow along our daily journey over on instagram and I’m pinning recipes on our Pinterest board: Cleanse Inspiration. Do you have a favorite cleansing recipe? I would love for you to share it in the comments section. Click Here.

Click To Go To Recipe Click To Go To Recipe Click To Go To Recipe Click To Go To Recipe Click To Go To Recipe Click To Go To Recipe Click To Go To Recipe Click To Go To Recipe Click To Go To Recipe Click To Go To Recipe Click To Go To Recipe Click To Go To Recipe Click To Go To Recipe

1. Cleanses are such a great way to start off the new year or a new season (for the more disciplined sort-definitely not referring to myself here!). Your menu sounds delicious. My go to cleansing recipe is one I use regularly: green smoothie with kale, apples, pears, lemon juice, ginger root,and mint. I like to make a big blender full and drink it throughout the day.

• Nikki,

Thanks for sharing your green smoothie. I like the idea of drinking it throughout the day, as I have a hard time getting through a big glass of any type of smoothie in one sitting.

2. I love the way you’ve organized this! Best of luck! I especially like the deep tissue massage part :) I’m sure it will be an excellent experience.

• Thanks, Nicole! I thought a bird’s-eye-view might be nice. Massages make me a bit nervous (I am a wimp) but I’m sure it will be good for me. :)

3. Good Luck Jess! Your plan looks like a great one. In leu of a cleanse I am about to embark on a half marathon training plan!

• That is so exciting, Tina! I’m rooting for you. Have you picked the event?

4. Hi Jess,
    I saw your link over at Rachel Eats. So nice to see a fellow Colorado lady around those parts. Kudos to you for embarking on the Whole Living Cleanse. I’ve wanted to do it myself the last two years; however, pregnancy and breastfeeding have been deterrents – or at least that is my excuse. Eager to hear your review of the recipes, especially that smoothie with tahini.

• Lara,
      Oh great to meet you, fellow Colorado lady! We actually ended up having the mango-tahini smoothie this morning and my husband really liked it (as did I but he is the tougher critic when it comes to “health food”). I’m going to pop on over to your site right now!

5. First of all, your cleanse sounds like it’s going to be SO delicious. Also excited to check out Dr. Junger’s book-his approach seems so natural and practical. That photograph of all of the gorgeous fruits is so lovely too, Jess. Hope you enjoy this time to be gentle and good to yourselves. Good luck! :)

• Laura,

Thanks for your support, I’m really looking forward to this time indulging in tons of fresh produce and revitalizing. The book is great, you’ve got to check it out. I’m very practically minded, and found Dr. Junger’s approach really fit in with my philosophy. Thanks for stopping by!

6. Jess,
    Your fruit makes my mouth water! Can’t wait to hear more about your outcomes.

• Thanks Mom!

7. I love the look of the lentil salad. Inserting that one into the repertoire, stat.

• Tori,
      Yesterday I made it for lunch (which I’m sure you saw on instagram) and instead of the cabbage I added marinated fennel. It was tasty and we were satisfied for the rest of the day.

8. sometimes it helps to combine diets because they offer different advantages to the more balanced your plan the better. hope it goes well!

• Thanks for your input Kaleigh, I totally agree!

9. BAH! Don’t know how I missed this post but looks like you are mighty organized for this cleanse! The soups all sound really good and I just got a new stock post so I will have to try some of these out! Hope it’s going well!

• Suzanne,

Thanks! The first week has gone well. It did take a lot of planning. I’ll be updating the site soon with all the great things I’ve learned. :)

10. Jessica, This post is wonderful. All those little post-it notes and a detailed plan. I love it.

• I’m glad you enjoyed it, Amy Jo!